Wednesday 24 February 2010

Baby "Rattle" Keepsake

I made this antique style baby rattle keepsake, instead of a baby card, for my new grand daughter, with the intention of popping it into a bunch of flowers when I visit my daughter and see the baby for the first time.
The idea popped into my head as I was dropping off to sleep last night, as do many of my crafting revelations.



It is made from circles of scrapbook pages, folded in half and glued back to back. It could easily be made from stamped art pages but I was being lazy today as I was given this paper recently and it was perfect for the project having interesting vintage images of children's toys.
 I embossed the edges quite roughly with gold UTEE, added a few embellishments, ribbons and tags to finish. The ball rattle top was glued to a wooden chopstick to which I also added specklings of gold UTEE to link it in visually.
Some of the lace was from my wedding veil from almost 44 years ago but it was white originally!! No! It didn't get THAT dirty....I simply sprayed the lace and the ribbons to tone in!.
A great advantage to this idea is that it can be folded flat for posting and it can also be made as a hanging ball. Good also to theme for other occasions.

7 comments:

Heavens2Betsy said...

This is fabulous. I love the shape particularly. A wonderful keepsake.

cockney blonde said...

Jo this is amazing. How on earth do you come up with all these ideas. Any daughter would be thrilled to receive this, x

Tinkertaylor said...

This is adorable and I bet your new grandaughter is too.

Martina said...

What an amazing piece of art, so beautiful, perfect!

Cath Wilson said...

What a great keepsake, Jo - lovely.

Lynne K said...

What a wonderful idea! And with the bit of lace from your wedding veil, what a precious keepsake it makes. Absolutely gorgeous.

Unknown said...

this is beautifull Jo and how fab that it has apart of your wedding on it for your grandchild Astrid such a lovly keepsake xxx