Friday 23 July 2010

C is for China



Next page of my alphabet swap is C for China and this I enjoyed making so much more than pages A & B. I love the Paperartsy little emperor stamp

I sponged my background card with Adirondack Inks in Watermelon, Cranberry and Sunset Orange, then stamped over it with Asian script in the same colours. When dry, I then added some rough gilding, to some parts, by using joss papers, a technique I'd almost forgotten about that I often used years ago. 
I applied smudges of PVA glue to various areas, and as I'm prone to messing, I spread them out with my fingers. Then I pressed the gold and silver parts of the joss paper to the glue and gently rubbed it. Lift off the paper and the mettallic parts of the joss paper adhere to the background card and create really effective metallic areas.
It looks more metallic and so much more impressive when you see it for real.
IMPORTANT...I must add, that if you go to an Asian Supermarket to buy these wonderful papers please have respect for their real purpose and remember that they are used in religious ceremonies. 
I never infer to the shop staff that I am going to use them for artistic purposes as I know that some might be offended by this.
They are  very cheap to buy, and come in a variety of sizes and colours, printed and plain, so shop around and you may find more than I show here....
Thanks for visiting......... D page tomorrow!

10 comments:

mckinkle said...

How very interesting Jo, I leant alot today!
Keryn x

Cath Wilson said...

Well, you're educating me tonight, Jo, lol - I didn't know that was the Little Emperor (and yes, I have the stamp - I think) and I didn't know that about the Joss paper! I'm impressed and I love your page.

Dotpat said...

Very clever Jo and it looks good doesn't it

sam21ski said...

WOW This is fab Jo, just the the colours you've achieved. That Joss paper looks fabulous too but unfortunately we don't have anything like that here, no Asian supermarkets that I know of!!!!

Glennis F said...

Interesting to know what you did with the joss paper - I have some of that so will be having a go at this technique. Thanks for the info

Julia Dunnit said...

Wonderful page Jo - and a cultural lesson as well - great stuff. Gorgeous colours.

donnalouiserodgers said...

I have easy access to asian materials and foods - but had not ever seen joss papers - thanks for the tip,
and do you think if a piece is created with love then papers are still a tribute and a kind of prayer? I guess it's a bit like misusing church candles?

Dx

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Another fab page Jo, adore the colours and the stamp is wonderful :-)
Anne xx

Neet said...

Lovely colours Jo - I did know about the Joss papers and since reading something on one of the Yahoo groups have been reluctant to use them.
I too have that Paperartsy stamp and he is cute isn't he. You have made a lovely job of this page and can see why you enjoyed it so much.

Unknown said...

fab i love the colour,image and everything really hugs jayne xxxx