Today I completed my last session of eight weeks at Abakhan where I demonstrated patchwork techniques one day per week. It introduced so many people to the craft and also brought some more quilt makers to help boost stocks for LillyBo Quilts. I've had visits from a few quilting groups, and some other lovely individual ladies, who are going make some quilts for the children.
I have been sponsored by Abakhan Stores who have been very generous and whilst the quilts will go directly to children undergoing treatment for cancer, all my examples and smaller items I have made will raise funds for CHICS, the children's cancer care group.
The staff in the store have been so welcoming, friendly and helpful and I'll miss them all but I do go into the store frequently so I'll still see them quite often and I've been invited to do a similar series of sessions next Spring.
I had such a surprise today when a lovely smiling lady sat down at my dem table..... it was one of my blogging buddies Tilly, who is a Super Star Stitcher and has already made 9 quilts for LillyBo. She had decided to visit me but got lost in Liverpool City Centre and couldn't find the store. It's just on the edge of town and after 3 hours wandering around she discovered where to find it and I'm so glad she did. Sorry you had to go to so much trouble Tilly, but thanks so much for making my day.
Shock horror, don't be too amazed, but I know most of you know that I don't "DO" Chr*****as until December and YES! here you can see us with samples of some of the items I was demming so I'm caught red & green handed.
I saw a similar hanging at the Harrogate Quilt Show so I thought I'd have a go making one. I'm not sure if it is the same or as good as their's but I found it was so easily made from scraps.
I cut 4 1/4 " triangles and sewed them up, leaving a gap to tun inside out, before stuffing them and stitching them together at the points, as in the photo.
I inserted a narrow garden cane in the green casing at the bottom to weights the hanging and helps it sit well.
Here's another of my easy to make display items.
This is a patchwork padded pin board similar to the ones I gave to Annie & Jo recently. Luckily I had made made another one and so I was pleased to be able to give this one to Tilly.
This dragon is a sample in progress to demonstrate appliqué. Originally I thought it might make a cushion but it will probably end up as a hanging. I am going to machine and hand embroider it.
Here's something I made in the car on my travels. My DD2's friend loved the one I made for my granddaughter so now her little girl can have one too and I have now embroidered her name on the four central pennants.
These close up pics might be helpful to follow if anyone wants to make some. I started at the bottom and added and extra treble at each end of every row. When the pennant was long enough I worked 2 rows of doubles around each side then one row of 5 trebles scallops.
I love the floral bias for joining them together.