Friday 16 May 2014

Liverpool Sights & Friday Smile

Continuing Cardarian's (Dolores) visit to Liverpool, showing some more of the places we visited during her visit to Liverpool.
As Dolores is a librarian so she was eager to see our city's spectacular Central Library, which won an award as last's year's best new building of the 2013 for UK.
I'm adding this post to Annie's Friday Smile as I'm remembering the happy, fun time we all had together.
You'll see even more to brighten your weekend over at Annie's (Wipso) place

At the top of the library there's an open area providing views over the city, just outside the atrium.
The main body of the building is linked and flows into the renovated Picton Reading Rooms, a splendid domed Victorian circular library. 


We visited the Anglican cathedral which is, very aptly, at one end of Hope Street and at the other end of Hope Street stands the Roman Catholic Cathedral. We enjoyed an excellent lunch in the Anglican and I must say that both cathedrals serve excellent food. 
You can see the building in the distance from the piazza of 
                       the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King.

The Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King

I didn't take photos inside the Anglican Cathedral as, with respect, I didn't feel comfortable taking any in such a place. The Metropolitan Cathedral was so quiet and the few people there were tourists snapping away, so I took the opportunity to discretely join in. 


The colours of the lantern change with every angle as you move around.
This is the large panel made by their embroidery workshop to celebrate the visit of Pope John Paul ll's visit to Liverpool in 1982
I love to see the exceptional artwork in each of the side chapels
This glistening mosaic was rescued from another church at the last minute just in time to save it from demolition.

Can you see the face in the facade?....
Geometric crosses on the bell tower.

As a final smile here's my shock view when we stopped at traffic lights as we drove home one day!

24 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

OMG - it's a Steampunk Library!! I have GOT to visit that. What a wonderful building :-) Dolores looks very at home!!
HUgs, LLJ xx

Annie said...

Amazing photos of your special time with Dolores :-)
Hugs,
Annie x

fairy thoughts said...

hi jo
i hadnt realised liverpool had such beautiful buildings..not sure which is best the mix of old and new libraries is stunning. but the end pic wass great
janet

Hettie said...

It is a long time since I was in Liverpool. That is some library. The reading rooms look decided steampunkish!
Great pics.
Happy Friday.
xx

Laura said...

Fab pictures. The artwork is amazing, and the dog - totally crazy!
Thanks for the smile
Laura

tilly said...

wow Jo
You make a great tourist guide, I am going to employ you soon for my very own visit lol......what a great time you had
Tilly x

Crystal Komara said...

Thanks for sharing such fun and lovely photos from your travels, JoZart. And I too got a great laugh out of seeing that Greyhound vehicle too! TGIF!

ElizabethR said...

Wow I'd forgotten how fabulous the buildings are in liverpool. Haven't been to the Library it looks amazing, it reminds me of the one in Manchester. Wonder how many bumps that dog caused lol. Happy Weekend, Elizabeth x

Redanne said...

Jo, your photographs are always wonderful but these are incredible and really did make me smile - thank you! Hugs, Anne xx

Chrysalis said...

Hi Jo - what an amazing city it is! Looks like you really made the most of your visit. Have a great weekend, Chris xx

Dotty Jo said...

What a great looking library... and other fabulous images! Jo x PS I am also a librarian.

Helen said...

What a fabulous library, very Dumbledore's office! I love the architecture - thanks for sharing such gorgeous photos.

Caro said...

What fantastic pictures...I love the steampunk library, and the photos of the different cathedrals are great, but it was the greyhound car that made me giggle out loud. Thanks for the smiles. Caro x (#13)

cockney blonde said...

Amazing photos Jo but love the piccies of that amazing library. Thanks for sharing, x

fairyrocks said...

Lovely photo array. That library looks very intriguing. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Amazing photos. Thanks so much for sharing. I love to visit, churches, cathedrals etc. All very unique and I always wonder how did they build those building way back when. !
Have a lovely weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm fairly certain I want to see that library if I ever make it to England. Although I'm not a librarian, I've spent many years in libraries when I was in school.

You are a super tour guide, and a wonderful friend to take Dolores on so many wonderful excursions around your lovely city.

The art in the cathedral chapels is beautiful. The face looks a bit like a Picasso. And the crosses on the bell tower were quite unique. Unlike anything I've ever seen.

Thanks for taking us on this wonderful adventure. Of course, I laughed and laughed at the dog. THAT was funny!!

Twiglet said...

Thanks for the trip - what stunning views and buildings you have. x Jo

mamapez5 said...

Lovely photos Jo. As you will see from my post if you pop over, I have just been to the new library in Manchester, and when I was over a few weeks ago I went to the one in Birmingham. They are all beautiful buildings. I don't remember libraries being anything like that when I was using one regularly! Kate x

Lynne said...

Great photos as always, Jo. I love it that people all over the world are seeing that Liverpool has grace and beauty as well as everything else they see on the television.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

wonderful pickies there Jo thanks so mcuh for sharing..
.. . sorry so late in returning your visit am just snowed under it seems :D sigh!!
Still it is is bound to get better inst it?? love Shaz in oz.x

Dotpat said...

You take amazing photo;s Joe and are brill at doing the write ups enjoyed reading that

Helen from Hobart said...

I hope that driver remembered not to put the car in a low parking spot !!!

Anonymous said...

OMG! That is truly intimidating - it gives me the shakes even thinking about having to tidy up my room let alone clear it out! Can't wait for the BIG REVEAL. I so missed you at the crop, but if you ever find yourself with time to kill in my neck 'o the woods, LMK.
Got totally ambushed yesterday so late to the party
Happy 5 year WOYWW!
Mary Anne (2)