Friday 13 March 2015

Applique & Friday Smile

I've been happily enjoying making appliqué by machine. I made one block for a swap and then decided I would make more for a quilt and now I've completed at least a half dozen. 
It's good to at last put some of the decorative stitches on my super duper sewing machine to good use.
These will be squares with patchwork sashes in between.
I must mention this wonderful pen just incase some of you haven't discovered them.
I can scribble my designs (as in next pic) or mark positions to see if they are suitable, then quick as a wink, the marks will disappear at the touch of a light iron. 
Before......
After!
FriXion Pens by Pilot are just magic and a quilter or sewer's dream.
They also work by friction, (as the name implies),like an eraser, on paper or card, if the base tip is rubbed over the marks. 

I advise trying them on a spare piece of the same fabric or paper to ensure they work on the surface you will use. 
They don't work on newspaper, so no good to erase those crossword errors! 
They are available in a range of basic colours and highlighter shades.
It's Friday and time for a smile, courtesy of Annie
On a visit to Chester we noticed the Oddfellows Hall in Bridge Street which is now a hotel and restaurant. A very quirky one at that.
This room is themed and inspired by Alice in Wonderland with a huge table set in the centre for afternoon teas Mad Hatter Style but look at that ceiling!!
The traditional wood panelled walls have fabulous images on them. So unusual but so effective.


We promised ourselves and afternoon tea there one day, should be fun!
Have a good weekend and remember to smile! 


8 comments:

Annie said...

Thanks for joining in this week Jo. I love that table on the ceiling....Ok for little ones like my but I guess in a house there would be a few knocking their heads on it lol. Thanks also for the phone call...I'm always smiling when I've had a chat and catch up with you.
Love and hugs,
Annie x

tilly said...

wow, what a room, I would love to have tea there.... fab squares and love the fancy stitches, makes them special
Tilly

Mrs A. said...

Those pens look to be a great idea. Fabulous appliqué. such gorgeous colours. hugs Mrs A.

Judys Lace Creations said...

Oh Jo, your applique is a knock-out!Stunning work!!
Oh that hotel with the Alice theme..how magical!

mamapez5 said...

Beautiful appliqué squares Jo. I use frixion pens here, just because you can erase them, but I didn´t know you could iron them out.
That room is amazing. I used to go to Chester quite often but I am not familiar with this place. I love the big owl on the wall. Tea there would be quite an experience I should think. Kate x

Words and Pictures said...

Oh my goodness - your applique flowers are stunning - I'm absolutely blown away (on top of my usual awe of anyone who can get a sewing machine to work without imploding on them!). Magnificent!

And thank you so much for sharing those wonderful photos of the madcap decor of the restaurant/hotel - I just love it all - especially the upside-down tea party.
Alison xx

Robyn Oliver said...

Hi Jo....ooooooh your applique are wonderful...so talented I love them. Great pen too Late happy Friday smiles this week Cheer Robyn

Lee said...

Oh Jo,you really are one of the most talented ladies I'v ever known.LOVE your applique,pleeeeese move to Cornwall LOL.Love that pen.
WOW,what a fab room.Thanks for sharing.Hugs xx