Friday 6 March 2015

Basket Block of the Month & Friday Smile

I had a lovely surprise when this patchwork block popped through the letterbox from Diane, the Cheshire Quilter, for our monthly swap. I love it and look forward to making this one in return. Never tried it before and must admit it looks a bit tricky and I'm a bit daunted by it. 
I chose to make this Snail Trail block this month for my swap. 
It has been a real challenge to me to try out new blocks but I do hope that, one day, I end up as competent as Diane. Her blocks are so perfect in detail.
Friday Smile
I was browsing old photos and sorting them into files when I spotted this one that I took at a parade in Liverpool City Centre. Co-incidentally it matches the colour palette of the basket block! 
I must tell you, incase you don't look closely, that most of the "NUNS" were MEN in drag.
I thought I'd join in with Annie's Friday Smile with this close up of this chap having a quick smoke after the parade. 
Lots more smiles to be had over at Annie's blog so join in or pop over for a chuckle.
 Hope you have a good weekend..... the sun is shining and the flowers are pushing up so SMILE!
It's painless, it costs nothing and it makes you feel good!

8 comments:

Annie said...

Hehehe that's brilliant Jo. Thanks for sharing.
Just to make you smile I thought you'd like to know I have more fabric on it's way to me for LillyBo quilt making so let me know when you want them.
Hugs,
Annie x

tilly said...

love your new quilt block and I bet the parade was a really fun day
Tilly

Robyn Oliver said...

Hi Jo, lovely quilted blocks. Those nuns are such fun and I must agree, a smile sure does make you feel good for no cost at all. Enjoy your weekend Cheers Robyn

mamapez5 said...

Hi Jo. I smiled at that photo of the man smoking. We are always amused by the men in our carnival parade who either have a quick puff as they walk round the streets, or a swig from a bottle of beer!
I love all the patchwork too. I am sure your blocks are a match for anyone elses! Kate x

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Lol, love the nuns!! They made me laugh a lot :-). Especially the one having a ciggy!
That patchwork square is amazing...I'm impressed with how the points of the triangles all meet perfectly...very hard to do. But, I prefer your snail trail design actually...that looks more impressive!
Hugs, LLJ xx

Lee said...

Stunning patchwork as always,You can do it Jo,I know you can lol.Love those nun,especially the one having a crafty cigi.
I am itching to have a go at hexagons but need to do the tempate first,forgot you need hundreds hee hee.Happy Weekend.xxx

Twiglet said...

Oh that's funny - reminds me of the song "Sister Josephine" - Jake Thakery.

famfa said...

Love your snail trail one. I have made this one and it's really effective. I'm sure there is a simple way to do the blue one (it's just finding it). Love your nun pictures, very funny
Famfa