Thursday 18 March 2010

Spray Starch backgrounds

At last, as promised, I can give instructions for the backgrounds I posted some time ago. I had hoped to make a video, but I still haven't got to the bottom of  how to do one, so that will have to wait for another project and someone with "knowhow" to help me. For the time being, lots of photos and written info I'm sure will suffice. If you try this out then I'd love to see your results.
This idea came when a friend mentioned that she'd had seen Spray Starch backgrounds somewhere so I trawled the web with no success. I decided to play around and experiment and the results shown here are all my own ideas. If you think of anything to add to this.....please let me know. 
Remember to DRESS TO MESS!

Materials needed:
White card or black card, plain or glossy.
I find that if the card is too porous, the surface colour is absorbed too quickly and does not move about to create the wonderful finishes. 
Can of spray starch.....(Yes! that can you've probably had in the cupboard for years in case you decide to iron!)Any will do... I've tried the good stuff but it's no better than any cheap one  and I pay only 65pence for mine.
Pearl Powders, Brusho Powder paint, Distress reinkers, Glimmer Mists, Color Wash sprays. Try anything water based as you may make a great discovery and have a "Eureka" moment.
Method:
Spray the card with starch
Sprinkle or spray colour or powder (or both) sparingly over the starch.
Spray again with starch
Sometimes this creates a lovely effect without doing anything else but I love to 
crumple Cling Film over the top of the coloured starch wet card to create amazing swirly marbled effects.
It is all hit and miss and serendipity but go gently at first as more colour can be added but too much can go like mud.
The cling film must be left for about 30 minutes without applying heat so that the colours can be pulled and absorbed into the creases. Don't be tempted to remove it too soon, be patient. 
 Try applying starch and colour onto a craft mat then swirl card over the top.Distress reinkers work best on glossy card.The starch provides a gloopy, viscose, movable, carrier for the colour medium used.


It is really effective on dark card
When dry it has a sheen and seals pearl powders if they do not already have a binder in them so it is handy for using up all those old pots in your stash.
 
Using Brusho powder paints over spray starch then sprayed again... no cling film

Glimmer mists sprayed over starch. Below left, with cling film applied and after cling film was removed on right


27 comments:

Anonymous said...

How I love these backgrounds! Thanks for sharing!

paperscissors said...

love all the swirly bits!!! if i bring starch in the house someone might ask where the ironing board is and i'll have to say "i don't know"!!! lol!

Lynne K said...

These are wonderful! Thanks for all the how-to. I'm going to try them at the first opportunity.

Sherry said...

Thanks for your fantastic tutorial - I love the effect with the Glimmer Mist! Must add spray starch to my shopping list now!

Artyjen said...

Oh my goodness! That is amazing.....fabby effects.....I've got a can hanging around somewhere LOL how did you know?! ;)
xoxo

lisa said...

This is really fascinating. Thanks so much for sharing your techniques. I feel a need for a tin of spray starch. I have to confess I'd not heard of it, my ironing is a very casual affair!!!!
The results you get are amazing.
Glad you enjoyed your trip to the cinema. They were showing the house where it was filmed on Countryfile on Sunday, think it was somewhere in Cornwall.

Lisax

Dotpat said...

Fab backgrounds Jo love the colours, you clever thing

cockney blonde said...

Defo off to give this a try. Fab Jo, x

Unknown said...

these are fab i loved the class we did on this with you and since had a play at home to the effects are brill Jo thanx for sharring xxxx

Diane said...

Wonderful effects, Jo - must have a try with this one!
Diane x

Zoechaos said...

Gosh just found your blog and thie awesome technique, guess I'm popping to the shops on my way home from work LOL

Anonymous said...

LOVE these backgrounds :) We are gonna use them for our yahoo group challenge :D

Von said...

Oh Oh must get some starch and have a go :)looks fab

L'Adelaide said...

fabulous..better late than never with this comment...hello, i am new to you wonderful blog...i too am addicted to gorgeous saturated color and your blog is gorgeous.
xx

Dragon said...

LOVE this.... Done them all but not with starch so must find out that can and have a go!!!
Frankie
xx

Theresa Plas said...

These are wonderful Jo! Can't wait to give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

Rita said...

Jo, you are a real Gem to us crafters. I never knew that such beautiful results could be made from starch. Again I have a tin about somewhere. Can you leave the cling film on?, silly question ,but I just wondered. Hugs Rita xxx

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

These are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your instructions with us.

Lee Ann

Gill Edwards said...

there is just too many good things to make on your blog, i am going to be crafting for years just to catch up. love the colours

Sally H said...

Wow! These are stunning! I will have to try it. Thanks for sharing it with us

rubbergranny said...

Thank you for the technique. I like that it uses supplies that I already have and your results look fabulous. Can't wait to give it a try.

Eke said...

Thank you for the clear explanation you have given. Good results and beautiful colours. A thing that I certainly will try one day.

Lubna said...

Thanks for this tutorial. The effects and colors are amazing. Will have to try this for myself:-)

Lubna said...

Thanks for this tutorial. The effects and colors are amazing. Will have to try this for myself:-)

H2 :) said...

These backgrounds are awesome! Thanks for experimenting & sharing your results. :)

Sarn said...

Fab backgrounds and thanks for sharing the method xxx

Ul-chik Unikatni nakit said...

Very intresting idea! Thank you.