Monday 16 March 2015

Prairie Queen Block and the Snail That Got Away

My block of the month swap for Diane (the Cheshire Quilter) is still sliding it's way from Liverpool to Crewe after being posted on 2nd March so I'm sending her this one in it's place, the Prairie Queen Block. 
Who knows, my original  Snail Trail Block might eventually arrive by snail mail.
I participated in the challenge set by Diane's group last month and this is my super return swap. I am really thrilled to receive this cute Japanese style bag in return. I love it and I'll certainly be having a go at making some for myself, one day, as it's such a great design.
 I do hope that Diane will pass on my sincere thanks to whoever made it,  on my behalf.
This camellia was a Mother's Day gift from one of my DDs and it was planted over 20 years ago. I love it so much and add a pic of it each year on my blog.
She was a student at the time and her lovely little gift only cost £1.99 in Woolworths. Situated in sight of our living room window, it flowers beautifully each year and has certainly given us all such  lasting pleasure.  The blackbirds and the squirrels peck away at the centre of the fallen flowerheads so I think there must be a kernel or something tasty for them at the heart. I chased the squirrels from planting them in the middle of the lawn the other day.
Here it is today, just in perfect time for Mother's Day and almost a month earlier than usual.
Last year it flowered early April ........and in 2013 it didn't flower until late April

8 comments:

Annie said...

Oh Jo that camelia is simply stunning....they really are out so much earlier this year aren't they? The sad thing is so many are out round here and have already been killed by the frost :-(
Enjoy it while you can Jo and thanks for sharing it.
Hope you have a wonderful Mother's day.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lee said...

Ooooh Love that quilting.We have some amazing Camelia's in Cornwall,they seem to thrive here for some reason,they are such a Beautiful plant and there are so many different ones.Hugs xx

Carola Bartz said...

Such a beautiful camellia! I love the color and its shape. So sweet that you got it as a Mother's Day's gift so long ago.
Our home came with four camellias and this season they started to bloom in December. Crazy world!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! That Camelia is spectacular! What a good Idea to photograph it in full bloom each year and have a record of the English climate too! Hope you are enjoying your holiday!! Hugs, Chrisx

Hettie said...

Lovely bit of patchwork going on there.
Lovely Camelia. Miss Woolies!!
xx

famfa said...

Your patchwork block is beautiful - hope this one gets there. I love the Japanese bag too - very clever. What a gorgeous camellia - miss them, we can't grow them here - we had s beautiful one back in England. Thank you for your birthday wishes for my 8 year old - he had s fabulous time x

tilly said...

How beautiful, mine is still in bud and I din't blame it with this cold and rain lol.
Tilly

Neet said...

What a tremendous gift you had all those years ago. The gift that goes on giving. It is beautiful.
Lovely quilting on your blog too.
Hugs, Neet xx