Tuesday 3 March 2015

Swap Blocks & Liberty Hexagons

I've been busy in many ways this week, and out and about, but still managed to get some sewing completed.
This is my "Block of the Month" for my quilting group Quilt Cornerstone (take a look for lots of stitched treasures.)
I decided to have a go at appliqué and I must admit that I really do enjoy it.
I also made a traditional patchwork block and chose this Fig Leaf, (below) one I had never before tried.
The colour palette was chosen by Mo in our group and usually we are given a set block to make each month but Mo gave us free rein to do as we wished. It will be interesting to see all the different designs members bring in and also to see what Mo makes of them all.
I am also swapping monthly with Diane of Crewe, the Cheshire Quilter, who has been a big help to me. Diane kindly led me in the right direction for learning new skills by giving me me patterns and instructions of several blocks to make month by month and this time I selected the "Snail Trail". 
First time I've made this too so I'm hoping it's OK.
Later in the month I am leaving DH to fend for himself (with a freezer full of home cooked food) whilst I visit our German branch of the family all on my own some. I always take something to stitch when I'm travelling and lately I've been making 1 inch hexagons from my stash of Liberty fabrics. 
I've already gifted several needle cases that I've made using these tiny Granny's Garden shapes but I love stitching them so I continued, totally undecided what I will make from the rest.
Last year I completed a full sized, handstitched, 1 1/2 inch hexagon quilt... all made in time that would otherwise have been wasted. 
It is amazing too how it is an icebreaker to conversation with fellow travellers, who are often interested in knowing more about what I'm doing.
Liberty Tana Lawn is so lovely to handle and stitch and the designs are fabulous.
Here's my little box of prepped 1 inch hexies and cut fabric shapes to pop in my bag to sew on the go!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautifully done.

Lee said...

Ooooo my goodness me,she says as she closes her jaw lol.

WOW,WOW,and again I say WOW.That applique is soooo Stunning,and of course your patchwork is just amazing in every way.

Do hope you have a safe and happy trip to your dear family.Huggles xx

mamapez5 said...

These are all beautiful Jo. I love the appliqué one.
I still have a cot quilt that a work mate made from hexagons when my Tom was born (30+ years ago!). It is one of my treasures. Kate x

tilly said...

I love your new blocks, some super sewing going on here!
Can you drop me a quick email as to where you get your Liberty Tana Lawn fabrics.... I have not seen them around here. enjoy your holiday
Christine x

Hetty said...

Wonderful quilt ideas, Jo!Wish i could come and join you and learn from you.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful Jo! As ever I see you are prepared! Have a great time! Hugs, Chrisx

Carol Q said...

my gosh you've been busy Jo. the applique is just stunning. you are obviously suited to doing it. I've got a meeting in London in May and I'm determined to stay up there late to get a visit in to Liberty's

Annie said...

What gorgeous quilting Jo.....and such a lovely way to use up your spare time.
Hugs,
Annie x