Tuesday 12 May 2015

Celtic Braid & Tram Museum

Amazingly I completed my Celtic Braid table runner that I had started at the course I attended last Wednesday. I really enjoyed making it and I have already started another one for Ch.....as! Yes! that special day in December!!
 Thanks so much to Maureen for the course enabling me to learn the techniques       for this piece.
Last Saturday the sun shone so we ventured forth for one of our jaunts. This time we chose something to interest DH but it was such a nostalgic trip for me too.
We visited the Tram Preservation Society Museum in Birkenhead and there was one of the No19 trams that used to take me to school almost 60 years ago! I was so excited to see it.
There were so many beautifully and restored trams.



Some of the badges on their fronts were wonderful.

 I wonder was this the same No1 tram that took me to the seaside in New Brighton all this years ago?
 We had a trip down to the river front on this old Portuguese tram and the creaking of the windows was so nostalgic. At the end of the line we had to flip the seats back to face the opposite direction before the return journey. 
This museum is possible thanks to the labours of the crew of retired engineers and other enthusiasts who lovingly renovate these fantastic vehicles. The only charge to visit was buying a ticket to ride on this last tram. Needless  to say we also gave an unrequested donation and it was worth every penny to help their work and hear that bell go "Ding, Ding" as the conductor shouted "Hold on tight" and "Any more fares please".

13 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Wow, stunning quilt, Jo! I've done some quilting myself so I know how tricky a job this one was, Jo x

Helen said...

Jo, this is absolutely beautiful!! it will grace your table and so will the special Ch.....as one! I love the trams too - used to love going on them in Blackpool - and how wonderfully cared for they are.

Carola Bartz said...

What a beautiful table runner - that truly is something special. It would look so lovely on my dining table...
How fun that you saw one of your trams you went to school with. Didn't you feel a bit sentimental?

Cardarian said...

I absolutely love that table runner.Now that it is finished it really is amazing! The tram museum is so interesting - Alan would love to have a look around there!
Lots of hugs
Cardarian

tilly said...

a stunning table runner, what a lovely day out with the trams.......
Tilly

Diane-crewe said...

your table runner is beautiful .. well done x And the colours of the trams is also beautiful .. what inspiration xx

Twiglet said...

That runner looks really tricky Jo - what a beautiful thing to have and use. Great pics of the trams - I think I have only ever had a ride on the modern ones in Sheffield. They are nowhere near as beautiful as those old ones. x Jo

CraftygasheadZo said...

Your runner is just beautiful Jo! Those trams look fab. Thanks for the birthday wishes! Take care Zo xx 51

mammafairy said...

Celtic braid is lovely, and I must see if Dad would fancy the tram museum! It looks wonderful.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I stopped by to see what you were up to, and really enjoyed the lovely table runner. But the trams were the real focus of my admiration. You find the BEST places to visit, and I'm so sorry I haven't been by sooner to see what you've been up to.

Tuire Flemming said...

Love those old cars and trams - now they look all the same...
Love your quilts too ;)
Hugs, Tuire

Neet said...

Fabulous quilting Jo, really so very different and so very beautiful.
Love the tram and coach photos and the old Morris which I always wanted to buy for myself. Mind you with the wages I earned all those years ago when I was sweet 16/17 I would have been a long time saving up.
Thanks for the share - looks like a fab day out.
Hugs, Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love your runner! Great pics of those trams! I too always wanted a shooting brake Morris! I am on catch up as you can see! Chrisx