Thursday 6 April 2017

Easy Peasy Patchwork Bag and a Scrap Quilt

Almost three years ago, my DD2 treated me to some fabulous Kaffe Fassett fabric to make a quilt just for myself. It is always hard to cut into any special gorgeous treasured fabric and I stroked it and drooled over it from time to time but recently I decided to go for it. 
First I made a big Stash & Slash quilt top which is now ready for sandwiching and finishing but there were enough scraps left over plus one spare Stash & Slash Block. I used the block as the central feature and added, joined and bodged together lots of the small pieces to make this extra 1.5 yard square gem. I am so pleased to see it finished and looking like this instead of just a bundle of scraps in a basket.
It was manageable enough to machine quilt it myself and I stitched in the ditch over the main body with random waves around the border. 
Even the binding is made from scraps joined together 

My Easy Peasy Bags
I have made several of these easy peasy bags for friends and they proved very popular, so I thought I would make some towards the sales table at our July exhibition.
My first attempts were made using strips of batik but any choice of patchwork or quilting is suitable, just make a panel to size first.
I have been asked for pattern and instructions so often so I'm posting photos of the stages to make them here.
I bought a metre of this ready, 2 sided, padded and quilted fabric at one of the big shows for only £5 and it has made 4 bags and a little zipper bag too. 
It also save me time! Should have bought more!
The bags can be adjusted up or down in size but here I show panels for one medium (10.5 x 30.5 inches) and one larger bag (13 x 38 inches). They are bound with 2.5 wide fabric, pressed in half along the length, sewn around the edge of the panel then turned to the other side and stitched by hand or machine to bind the edges. Alternatively, bias binding can be used.

To construct the bag turn in the corners, as below. 
(It helps to pin, or clamp together, the two triangular areas before the next fold)
Next, if you envisage the central square area and fold the panel diagonally from top left corner to bottom right as indicated.......
The two points will be at the top.
The bag will take shape, as below, and will be complete as soon as you stitch together (on both sides), where the two edges, meet from A to B.
As this fabric is double sided I machined a zig zag stitch, using invisible thread. It can then be used successfully on either side as a reversible bag.


To finish;

To fasten, add a large button on either side and use an elastic pony tail ring as the loop to fasten over the buttons. 
Handles can be made from the matching fabric to the desired length or from webbing as I did on my first batik bag. 
There are many options to personalise the bag such as an inside pocket, a loop for keys etc.
The leftovers made a neat little make up bag.
Shout out if you need any more information and, whilst at first it can seem complex, it soon comes into shape.





















14 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Jo. What a fabulous post full of amazing coloured fabrics. I really love your quilt and the bag design is fab. I'm with you when it comes to stroking fabrics for years before being able to take scissors to it....I have lots like that.
Have a fab week.
Hugs,
Annie x

Helen said...

simply loving your quilt- beautiful colours - well done for using that gorgeous fabric! the bags are wonderful, too.

Carola Bartz said...

What a gorgeous quilt! The colors are wonderful and so happy.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love your little leftovers quilt. Love those Kaffe fabrics too!

tilly said...

what a cute bag.... I will need to lay this out before I fully understand the mechanics lol....but, if you say it is easy ?? .....it looks great anyway
Tilly xx

Twiglet said...

All so gorgeous Jo - that quilt is beautiful and surely the best way to use every scrap of that lovely fabric too. Might have a go at one of the bags if ever I get time to sew just for me again! Hope you are well. Happy Easter x Jo

Lisca said...

What an absolutely amazingly beautiful quilt! I love Kaffe Fassett stuff. Well done you.
The bags are fab! Looks real easy too! Thanks for showing how that works.
Have a good week, with lots of smiles,
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Fabulous fabrics and what a great way to make the bags, love it. It's always difficult to use fabrics when they are so gorgeous, I know this feeling well. Have a great weekend, Angela xXx

Mystic Quilter said...

OOOH - yummy Kaffe Fassett fabrics making a lovely quilt! Hope you're going to show up the full size quilt at some point. The bags - great idea and I've got to try these, thanks for giving us the instructions for these.

Neet said...

Love your quilt, so you! Your daughter chose wisely and you made it your own. Bet it looks lovely in that chair.
Great little bags, I treasure the ones you made me although they are much bigger than those in your blog today and the second one you made me is always the first one Chas reaches for when I ask him to get a bag.

Hope you and Dave are well, it seems ages since we last saw you and Chas was only talking about the two of you on the way home from the club tonight. We both miss you.

Funny how you were there on Friday's Smiles which made me reach out to your blog when I got home.

Take care, love to you both
Hugs, Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Jo! What a treat of a post! Such wonderful colours and I always enjoy seeing your wonderful sewing! I had a similar problem with papers - just lately have come to wonder what I am saving them for!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Lee said...

Ooooooh my Giddy Aunt,what a talent you have I am so envious.Your Quilt is Juat Awesome in every way and I Love those Bags.Been very busy here.Hope you got the card.Huggles xxxx

Judys Lace Creations said...

LOVE, love these fabric works.Adore those bright colours! Sewn works are so wonderfully textural, and the colours are fab!

Words and Pictures said...

It really is stunning fabric, and you've woven wonders with it in your quilt - glorious! Love the clever little bag design. As always I'm in awe of those who can handle fabric and sewing machines. I've just managed to complete my Tudor dolls without a stitch of sewing, and I'm pleased as Punch with the results. It would all be easier if I were prepared to pick up a needle and thread occasionally though!
Alison x