Tuesday 18 January 2011

Tutankhamun Exhibiton

Today we went to Manchester, just 45 minutes away from home, to visit the Tutankhamun exhibition, which is on at the Museum of Museums next to the Trafford Shopping Centre until February 27th 2011 . It is so spectacular and I really didn't think I'd say that, or enjoy it so much, because everything in the exhibition is reproduced exactly to the originals and I usually prefer to see the originals! We went because of my husband's lifelong interest in Egyptology and it is one of the most interesting and well staged exhibitions we've ever seen.
There were no restrictions on photography, as there would be in the Cairo Museum, so I panicked when I realised that I had forgotten my camera. It is always in my bag... except for today! Luckily I realised that I had an old digital camera stowed in the car so they kindly let me back in and I snapped away to my heart's content. I'm amazed that these pics came out as well as they have, especially the mask above, as I couldn't use flash and the lighting was quite subtle.
There were reconstructions of the tombs exactly how Howard Carter, the primary discoverer, would have seen them at the first moment he broke through into the chambers and saw them by a single candlelight held through the first small hole in the wall. It was so eerie to imagine how it would have felt then the lights became brighter to see the contents in all their magnificence. After the scene was dramatically set we moved in to browse all items individually, close up and in great detail.
The detail and effect of the reproductions is truly amazing and the exhibits are works of art in their own right.
People were there, who had visited the originals in the Cairo Museum in Egypt, were remarking how authentic everything looked.
It is stunning to imagine that the originals are made of solid gold but the reproductions create a wonderful effect and look so realistic.
We  spent over 3 hours there and may have stayed longer but we were hungry, tired, and there wasn't a cafe! 


I especially love this head dress below
There were hundreds of items displayed but I am just showing some of my favourites. DH wants this throne!
True to form, I managed to find a bargain as they had reduced the calendars drastically to £1!! The exhibition moves to Belgium in Spring and they reckon that nobody would then buy them. They would sell them anywhere just for the pictures and that's just why I bought some.
If there is an opportunity, as it tours the World, to visit this exhibition... just do it. You won't be disappointed.




12 comments:

olive said...

looks amazing Jo, will have to go. xxx

Cardarian said...

What a lovely exhibition! I saw the original years ago in Budapest! I wish to go to Egypt once just to see it there and then! Thank you for sharing your photos in the museum are amazing!
Hugs,
Cardarian

Anonymous said...

Ohhh these are fab pics. what a shame there wasnt a cafe so you could break up the visit.
have a brilliant day
hugs June xxx

Annie said...

How lovely. Well worth a visit to Manchester for. Thanks for sharing your photos.
A x

Tuire Flemming said...

Looks very interesting! Hope I have a chance to see it somewhere.

Deborah Frings said...

Looks totally amazing - must pop over with the family!

Dotpat said...

Jo what fabulous photo's our Sue would be in her element there she loves Tutem

Unknown said...

wow you always deliver such great culture to us the pics are brill love them would love to go and see it myself in person tfs hugs jayne xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had planned to get here sooner, but I simply was pooped after the day I had.

I saw this exhibit in Los Angeles nearly 20 years ago. I believe it was the original. It traveled to 5 US cities over the course of one year, but like the Cairo Museum, you were NOT allowed to take photos. Your photos bring back memories I barely remember. Thank you for showing these. I'm SO glad you had that spare digi camera in your car. How fortuitous.

Carmen said...

The pictures are amazing I thought at first they were ones you had taken off the website. Absolutely brilliant. What a fascinating exhibition.

sam21ski said...

Oh Jo what a stunning collection. Thank you so much for sharing your photos, yet again.

HeARTworks said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures Jo! Enjoyed them. Those artisans are amazing! Patsy from
HeARTworks

FOLLOW: