Tuesday 5 January 2016

Patchwork Table Centre & Last of the Christmas Makes

Almost forgot to post pics of this table centre, which I spotted in plenty on pinterest and which is so easy to make. Last of the Christmas makes from me but I'm adding it here as it can be made from suitable fabrics to suit your home decor or table setting for a special dinner, to use all year round, not just for Christmas.
It can be made smaller or slightly larger by just changing the size of the squares.
It can also be hung on a door or wall as a wreath.

It would take bread rolls in the slots for a dinnertime table centre and at Christmas it could hold tiny gifts or wrapped chocolates. 
 It is made from twelve each, of two contrasting 6.5 inch fabric squares (it's optional if you add a border (the green) to one as I did). The squares allow quarter inch seams, so will therefore be 6" when stitched and pressed ready to assemble.
I added a square of iron on Vilene to stiffen them before they were stitched together, leaving a gap to turn them inside out before pressing. 
I stitched the openings up with invisible thread and a small zig zag stitch. 

The bottom squares could also be made in patchwork squares. Lots of options to make it to your own style.
 The completed squares are joined by machining together from the centre point of one side to 1.5 inches from the inner corner.(See diagram below)

As you can see the other corners are joined together with tiny bells which are available from Tiger stores or the Works at reasonable cost. Alternately buttons can be used or they can be tied with narrow ribbons.
 I used a battery operated night light inserted into the top of a large candle. Safer and no wax to drip on the fabric below. Large battery operated candles can be bought nowdays but I recessed a small one into a large real candle.

 I had an idea to insert a glass vase into the centre filled with tiny battery operated fairy lights and baubles but as I'd made this so late I never got around to trying it. An idea for next Christmas.


12 comments:

Lee said...

Really Beautiful Jo.xx

Annie said...

That's really stunning Jo....I just might have to make one :-)
Hugs,
Annie x

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really like that centerpiece. I don't do a lot of decorating for Christmas but I think that would make me smile every time I looked at it. I have lots of Christmas fabric to use for it.

Helen said...

Happy New Year to you Jo. Love the bread roll holder - Mum had a fabric one but nowhere near so pretty!

Carol Q said...

gorgeous Jo - perfect for a Christmas table

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous Jo. I will have to have a go at making one of these. I bet my Mum would have loved it too.
Hugs and Happy New Year.
xxx

Neet said...

Jo - that is simply gorgeous - so elegant. Now need to select a free day for you to come over and help me make one.
Happy New Year to you and Dave - hope to see you when I get back.
Love
Neet xx

Cardarian said...

Oh Jo really lovely table centre piece, must skype, miss you!
Lots of hugs Cardarian

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is gorgeous Jo and what a brilliant idea, love it. Angela x

Gaby Bee said...

Absolutely stunning, Jo. I think it's perfect for a Christmas table.
Happy New Year! Hope that 2016 will bring you health, happiness and an endless stream of creativity!

Have a lovely weekend!
Gaby xo

Carola Bartz said...

That's a very beautiful centerpiece. Since I can't sew at all I'm full of admiration for creating something so lovely. The fabric is very pretty and I like that you have added the little bells - it makes it so festive.

http://www.customwritinglab.com/ said...

It looks so incredibly cool!
I'm amazed. This centerpiece is really beautiful and it is obvious that it will decorate every Christmas dinner table.